I finished up the sleeves for Seabreeze and at craft night this past Friday night I seamed the first one on. Seaming is always so tedious, but it came out rather well in spite of myself. It helps now that I know what I am doing (I have an olive colored cardigan which is my first attempt at seaming and…well…lets just say I didn’t have a clue back then. Wince).
I could have attached the second sleeve and been done with the whole thing. Really I could have. But I started poking around my stash of bookmarked patterns and I just happened to have a pile of Reynolds Candide in a lovely shade of grape (with flecks of red and blue) and so Seabreeze languishes, uncompleted, while I have spent the past several days furiously working on this.
The pattern is Sonnet, from Knitty.com, and so far it’s an amazingly simple one. It’s knit from side to side, which makes for some new techniques, but the loveliest bit about it is that I don’t have to worry about whether or not it’s long enough – that’s easy enough to tell right at a glance! Phew. Also I can fit it as I go – making sides or back wider as necessary.
I admit to being quite tempted by Haiku (the child’s version) as well, and Christmas *is* coming, but I may yet be able to restrain myself.
The wool I’m using is stiff and thick. On the one hand, it knits up quick; on the other the stiffness is making my fingers ache. But I’m so happy with how it’s turning out that I don’t mind all that much.